The laughter and merriment from children of all ages is alive and well at The Carousel at Pottstown. However, that effort took 18 years and the dedication of dozens of volunteers to make it happen.
This three-row menagerie carousel has an extensive history. Originally built in 1905 by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company and designated #9, it first took up residence at Euclid Beach Park, Cleveland, Ohio. After four years it went to Laurel Springs Amusement Park, Hartford, Conn., where it stayed until 1925. That year the carousel was returned to PTC to be updated with jumping animals and two chariots, also getting renamed as #74R. The next year, it was at Kauffman’s Park, Mount Gretna, Pa., where it remained for three years. From 1929 to 1964, Joyland Park, Lexington, Ky. was its home, followed by Twin Grove Park, Pine Grove, Pa., until closing sometime in the mid-1970s. It was during the early 1980s that the carousel was dismantled with the animals being sold at auction. The remains went to a private collector in Dallastown, Pa.